PMI Membership Benefits
The Project Management Institute is the non-profit organization responsible for setting the standards and guidelines of project management and issuing the PMP certification. PMI is the leading project management organization in the world and has hundreds of thousands of members and yearly events around the world. PMI’s goal is to standardize the field of project management and provide project managers the information they need to succeed at their jobs.
For $119 a year, you can become a member of PMI and get access to a wide range of resources they provide. Here are the top 10 benefits of a PMI membership:
1. Exam discounts. You will save a lot of money when registering for any project management exams if you are a member of PMI. The PMP exam fee is $555 for non-members and $405 for members, so it’s obviously cheaper if you are a member of PMI.
2. 24/7 access to books online. After becoming a member you will gain private access to PMIs online bookstore where you will be able to find a huge collection of PMP certification and project management books online for free. These are excellent books you can use when looking for some good PMP preparation.
3. Discounts. As a member of PMI, you will get discounts to all their products, online seminars, conventions, events, software, papers, etc. These discounts are well worth the price you’re paying.
4. Career advice. PMI has a great section on their website dedicated to helping you improve and expand your skills which are needed for project management. They also have a large job database where you can search for some work.
5. Access to PMIs published research papers is another handy benefit you may find useful if you’d like to keep up to date with the latest happenings.
There are plenty more benefits of becoming a member such as free access to journals, magazines, email newsletters, and articles from PMI. You will also get a free copy of the PMBOK Guide which every project manager knows is vital when studying for the PMP certification exam.
Taking all those benefits into consideration you will see that spending $119 a year is definitely worth it.